Harvey Weinstein Tests Positive for Coronavirus in New York State Prison

According to a local newspaper in West New York, convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein has been put into isolation after contracting the Coronavirus. They are saying that they believe Weinstein was positive for the Coronavirus when he was brought into the state prison system last Wednesday coming in from Rikers island, a jail in New York City.

harvey weinstein outside courthouse
Harvey Weinstein Booked at Rikers Island Jail

Weinstein, 68, is serving time at Wende Correctional facility, maximum security prison, after being transferred from Rikers Island. The Niagara Gazette, a local newspaper in West New York was the first to break the news. But all of Weinstein’s people, his attorney and the people with the prison said they were unaware of the diagnosis. The Gazette also stated that he is one of two inmates there that have tested positive for COVID-19. They believe he was already carrying the virus when he was transferred into Wende. The head of the NYSCOPBA said that he could not comment because of privacy rules.

They are now trying to suspend all non-essential transfers of inmates from facility to facility during this ongoing pandemic. The prison is trying to curb the spread of the virus. Apparently, the person who leaked the information spoke on condition of anonymity.

Michael Powers, the president of the New York State Correctional officers and Police Benevolent Association said that three state corrections officers tested positive for Coronavirus and many other officers are being monitored after coming into contact with people that are believed to be infected.

Variety has published an article based off of the Niagara Gazette’s report, but still have not been able to confirm the report. When they spoke to Weinstein’s prison consultant, they said they could not confirm, nor did they care to comment. It is also believed that Weinstein has been in isolation since he got to the prison but not because of the virus. More because he was a new inmate and his transfer was done quickly. He is being held in a medical wing.

They believed he already had it when he was brought in because prior to being transferred to Rikers, he was at Bellevue hospital in New York City. He was diverted there on his way to Rikers after his blood pressure spiked and he was being monitored for a heart condition and his high blood pressure. He had also had an angioplasty done at Bellevue as well.

Harvey Weinstein is serving a 23-year sentence for sexual assault and rape, and is still awaiting another trial out-of-state. This post will be updated as more information becomes available